Baking blueberry muffins can be a challenge. Sometimes the cake part comes out with a greenish-blue tint. And sometimes the berries all sink to the bottom. The way to keep this from happening is simple, always use frozen berries and don't over stir them into the batter. The batter also needs to be rather thick to keep the berries from sinking to the bottom. This recipe has easy to follow steps for the perfect blueberry muffins topped with a streusel crumb topping.
Numbers correspond with the recipe steps
1. For streusel combine flour, sugars, cinnamon and salt. Then stir in the melted butter with a fork until mixture forms pea size chunks. Set aside for topping later.
2. For the muffins Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
3. Grease and flour 1 gumbo muffin tin(6 holes) or 1 regular muffin tin (12 holes).
4. In a large bowl combine the first 4 ingredients.
5. In a 2 cup measuring cup combine buttermilk, egg and vanilla.
6. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir by hand just until combined.
7. Now stir in the melted and cooled butter and then fold in the frozen blueberries.
8. Divide the batter evenly into the muffin tins and top with the streusel mixture.
9. Bake for 23 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted.
10. Remove muffins from the muffin tins and place them on a wire rack to cool.
(This prevents soggy bottoms).
Makes 6 jumbo or 12 regular muffins.
Linked to the Link Parties found here