- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 c. whole wheat flour
- 2 c. old-fashioned oats
- 2 Tbs. wheat bran*
- 1 c. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 c. (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 c. apple butter*
1. pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Line a 9x13" cake pan with buttered parchment paper.
3. In a large mixing bowl combine flours, oats, sugar, cinnamon, salt and baking soda.
4. Add melted butter, a beaten egg and vanilla. Stir by hand until combined.
5. Press half of the crust mixture into the pan. Then spread apple butter on the curst.
6. Now crumble the remaining crust evenly over the top and gently press.
7. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Makes 12 large bars
*Use organic apple butter or any flavored preserves or jams, with out high fructose corn syrup.
When using preserves heat them with a tablespoon of water to make them spreadable.
*Optional unprocessed wheat bran(I use Bob's Red Mill), flax, wheat germ etc.
Click here for a link to the original post.