- 3-1/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 2 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 c. hot water
- 3/4 c. vegetable oil
- 2 Tbs. white vinegar
- 1 Tbs. instant coffee granules
- 1 Tbs. pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare 2-8x2" round pans.
2. In a large mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, cocoa, soda and salt.
3. Dissolve coffee in the hot water. Add oil, vinegar and vanilla.
4. Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until combined.
5. Divide the batter into the 2 prepared* pans.
6. Bake for 25 minutes or until a tooth pick comes out clean when inserted
in the middle.
7. Let cool for 10 minutes and then invert them onto a wire wrack to cool
completely. After cakes have cooled frost them with chocolate icing.
*I use bakers joy to prepare my pans.
- 8 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-1/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- pinch of salt
- 1-1/4 c. heavy cream
- 1/4 c. sour cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Melt butter in a heavy sauce pan on medium heat.
2. Add sugar, cocoa and salt.
3. Stir in the heavy cream and sour cream.
4. Cook for a few minutes until sugar has dissolved (do not boil).
5. Remove from heat and add vanilla.
6. Let cool completely before frosting cake.
Link to original post